COVID-19 – 1st September 2020 – Important information for Hungary
01 September 2020: As of 1st September 2020, the Government of Hungary has recently adopted new measures in response to the COVID-19 situation in Hungary.
“As a general rule as of 01 September 2020 foreign citizens are not allowed to enter Hungary. However persons falling under the following categories will be exempted of the aforementioned restrictions:
- Those involved in freight traffic
- Official visit and business trips based on special request
- Cross-border commuters (30 km zone)
- Athletes participating in sport events
- Passengers transiting Hungary.
The following persons will be treated in the same way as Hungarian citizens:
- persons entitled to permanent residence in Hungary and their family members; and persons holding a valid residence permit issued by the aliens policing authority allowing for the residence in Hungary for a duration exceeding 90 days and presents this document upon entry (“D” type visa is equivalent).
In accordance with Article 25 (1) of Regulation (EU) 2016/399 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 March 2016 on the Union Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code) Hungary will introduce border control measures at all internal land and air border sections for 30 days as of 1 September 2020.
With regard to the internal borders – in consultation with neighbouring countries – Hungary shall permit entry into the territory of the country only at the following border crossing points:
- with regard to Slovenia: Tornyiszentmiklós-Pince M70 highway, Tornyiszentmiklós-Pince road, Rédics-Dolga road, Bajánsenye-Hodos road, Bajánsenye-Hodos railway;
- with regard to Austria: Rábafüzes-Heiligenkreutz road, Bucsu-Schachendorf road, Kőszeg-Rattersdorf road, Kópháza-Deutschkreutz road, Sopron-Klingenbach road, Fertőrákos (Sopronpuszta)-Sankt Margarethen (Szentmargitbánya) road, Fertőd-Pamhagen road, Jánossomorja-Andau road, Hegyeshalom-Nickelsdorf I. highway, Hegyeshalom-Nickelsdorf II. road, Szentgothárd-Jennersdorf railway, Hegyeshalom-Nickelsdorf railway, Fertőd-Pamhagen railway, Sopron-Loipersbach railway;
- with regard to Slovakia: Rajka-Rusovce highway, Komárom-Komárno road, Esztergom-Štúrovo road, Parassapuszta-Šahy road, Bánréve-Král road, Tornyosnémeti-Milhost road, Rajka-Rusovce railway, Szob-Sturovo railway, Hidasnémeti-Cana railway;
- with regard to river Danube: Komárom port;
- with regard to air borders: Budapest Liszt Ferenc International Airport, Debrecen International Airport, Sármellék International Airport, Pér temporary air border crossing point.
Other roads crossing the border along the indicated border areas will be closed.”